Rag Doll Girls by Sydney James

 



Rag Doll Girls

Sydney James

4 Stars


348 pages, ebook

Expected publication January 6, 2022


Publisher’s Blurb

Two little girls went out to play. I came back.

I was five when I discovered that adults don't know everything. It was the weirdest feeling, sitting across from the policeman at my grandmother's cottage, listening to him telling me that what had happened to Ellen was an accident. No one's fault. She was in a better place now, he said.

I couldn't believe that he didn't know. That he couldn't tell, just by looking at me. And I wanted to tell him the truth, I really did. Tell someone. The kind policeman, my loving grandmother, anyone. Even my unforgiving sister. But they all seemed convinced they knew what had happened, and anyway, there weren't any words to describe the unforgettable sights I'd witnessed.

In the end, I never told anyone what I had seen. And once my parents had come to get me, I never returned to my grandmother's cottage. Wild horses couldn't have dragged me back. As soon as I could, I moved far away, halfway around the world, and did all I could to forget.

But repressed memories and untold secrets have a way of resurfacing, and when my life implodes three decades later, I'm forced to return by something much more relentless than wild horses: my perfect older sister. Forced to go back to our grandmother's cottage and find out which fragments of my nightmares were the results of my vivid childhood imagination and which are based on facts.

A broken woman reluctantly confronts the secrets and lies of her past in this gripping psychological novel. What really happened to her friend that day, three decades ago? And will she be able to disentangle the shocking truth from her false memories and authentic nightmares in time to save her sister's children from the danger in the dark woods surrounding her grandmother's idyllic cottage?

 

Review

Barely surviving in the US with mounting credit card debt, a huge weight problem and about to be evicted from her tiny apartment Lisa gets a call from her estranged sister begging her to return to Sweden for her Grandmother’s funeral.

With assurances that she would solve Lisa’s debt problem, Astrid convinces her to fly back home but this is when it opens up a slew of repressed memories about the day that Astrid’s friend Ellen died in the woods 30 years ago.

Told from the perspective of both Lisa and Astrid this is a heart-breaking journey through Lisa’s memories and emotions which kept me on the edge of my seat as she slowly unraveled the fact from fiction about that day so many years ago that sent he spiraling into debt and depression thousands of miles away from her family.

The plot twists and turns right to the very end as the truth is finally revealed.

This is a story of family ties and redemption as much as it is a tight psychological thriller.

The sections dealing with Lisa’s eating disorder are both funny and sad in equal measure and cast a different light on the trials of the clinically obese

Preorder on Amazon UK

Preorder on Amazon US

 

The Author

Filled with drama, unexpected twists, and intense emotions, a book by Sydney James will take you closer to the edge of what it means to be human. Sydney's thrilling stories explore what all of us are capable of doing if pushed far enough. The characters are ordinary people who find themselves in extraordinary situations that they don't immediately know how to get out of.

Sydney James writes about the flaws and the beauty in every one of our hearts and minds. About desperation and hope, about fear and courage, about love and burning hate, about lies and corrosive truths. It might not always be obvious who is the victim and who is the perpetrator, but in a Sydney James book, the butler never did it.

Welcome to the World of Sydney James. It might look a bit dark, but there is light beyond those clouds.

https://sydneyjamesauthor.com/

Amazon Profile

 

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twitter : @kevin_cannon

Instagram : cosmobrown1968

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------







 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wings Unfurled by Rebecca Gomez Farrell

Favourite Books of 2023

Second To Sin by Murray Bailey