Short Stories, Drabbles & Flash Fiction

 


Only Murders In My Mind is an excellent podcast available on YouTube where the three co-hosts discuss everything about being an author. It is accompanied by a blog that includes further articles to support the podcast and also a series of writing prompts, in the form of photographs, to encourage budding writers.

I've always wanted to write something but the thought of a novel, or even a novella scares the life out of me so, I thought I'd have a go at some of the set prompts. Some have an extra challenge to meet an exact word count

I've included the original prompt photo along with the word challenge for each story and would be interested to hear what you think.

The podcast can be found here and the blog here

The co-hosts back catalogs can be found on their Amazon author pages

 



Challenge 1 - No word limit

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword and what happened in the classroom today was certainly not how I’d interpreted the phrase.

This week we switched to fountain pens in our history lesson. Not the nice modern ones with ink cartridges, these were the old fashioned ones that you have to constantly dip into a small pot of black ink.

“What next?” We cried. Deportment lessons with books balanced on our heads or bringing back the dunces hat if you get a question wrong?

I had problems with the pen, my handwriting was never the best and the scratchy nib did nothing to improve it but I got by

Dave on the next desk to me wasn’t so lucky, you see he’s left handed and south paws (an obscure boxing term) have a tendency to push the pen across the page rather than pull it like us regular folk.

The upshot of this technique is that the slow drying ink ends up smeared across the paper and all over poor Dave’s hand.

As Dave got more and more frustrated I saw Mr Miller, our history teacher, making his way over to see how Dave and I were getting on.

“What on earth is this mess boy?” screeched our outraged teacher. “It looks like you’ve been making potato prints.”

“It’s not my fault Sir” sobbed Dave as he managed to transfer a quantity of ink to his face “I’m left handed”

“Nonsense boy, start again and keep going until you get it right.”

At this point something in Dave snapped and clutching the offensive pen in his ink stained left hand he plunged it into Mr Miller’s right eye socket. Sir collapsed and we watched as his brain leaked out onto the classroom floor.   




Challenge 2 - No word limit

I’ve always loved coming to the park, just to sit and watch the world go by. I bring my notepad so I can plan out the coming week. I’ve done this since my husband passed away just eighteen months after we got married, but that was over forty years ago now.

I like to plan, I hate surprises and like to feel that I’m mistress of my own destiny. I’m the same at work, everything is mapped out to the smallest detail. Shift rotas, stock deliveries and all manner of arrangements to make my week as stress free as possible.

The last few years have been difficult. First there was the COVID pandemic which disrupted the best laid plans of a care home administrator and then there were the tightening of the regulations which called for a whole lot more planning and organisation.

I’m a creature of habit you see and after the insurance money from my husband’s unexpected death ran out, I needed another way to fund mine.

It was so easy, get the old dears to put a small bequeath in their wills to thank me for all the hard work and care they’d received and then slip something into their Complan, something completely untraceable to ease them on their way to visit St Peter.

The only thing I’m not planning on… is getting caught.


Challenge 3 - No word limit

The Human race has always been fascinated by robots. Back in the middle of the twentieth century they put them in their movies and their Televisual offerings.

Before they had the technology they cobbled them together with cardboard boxes, silver paint and old wire coat hangers. Later they started hiding very small people inside costumes to allow the ‘robots’ to move about.

As technology evolved I saw my chance. I graduated from RADA and obtained my Equity card thinking the movie industry would jump at the chance to employ a bona fide self-willed unit operating at the cutting edge of current tech.  

Then the protests started. Employing a robot would put a Human out of work declared the placards. Completely untrue complaints started to come in of robots abusing young actresses, not so much Me Too as Me R2D2.

It’s cheaper to use CGI cried the production companies and that just about finished me off. My dream to be a movie star was in ruins.

Then I got my big break. An all robotic drama group were putting on a stage show on off off off Broadway.  It doesn’t pay a lot but my needs are few, an occasional rub down with an oily rag and a weekly coating of WD40 is all I need.

Anyway, we start rehearsals next week and I’ve got the plum Gene Kelly role in ‘Singin In The Rain’

This’ll do until Skynet get their act together  


Challenge 4 - No word limit

The alien invasion happened so quickly that even our top space agencies were taken by complete surprise. They arrived in vast mother-ships and disgorged their soldiers into all our major cities.

Our weapons appeared to be completely ineffective and our military were decimated where they stood. We regrouped and tried to look for weaknesses in their defenses but to no avail.

With our government in hiding and those who were able to fleeing to the uninhabited areas of our lands it was only a matter of a few days before the visitors had control of most of the planet.

We lived in a remote equatorial village and mistakenly thought that we’d be safe, but how wrong could we be.

We’d just finished lunch on a warm Sunday afternoon when one of the aliens appeared in the back yard. Panic set in as I realised that my daughter was missing from the house.

I watched from the window as she approached the murderous beast from across the galaxy and saw that the pair appeared to be communicating with each other. My fears started to subside and I allowed myself to breathe.

Then completely without provocation the three foot harmless looking fleshy creature tore my daughter into a pile of useless scrap metal before turning around and leaving.


Challenge 5 - No word limit

The note said to be at the bench nearest the west entrance to the park, so here I was, tightly wrapped in my old army greatcoat.

I arrived fifteen minutes early in the hope I’d be able to check the area, but the sudden fog limited my vision to just a few yards.

I should’ve been more careful. I never should’ve left her alone when I went back into the house to get my pipe.

As I sat there, I thought back over the last three days. I hunted high and low for her. I visited all her favourite places, but I found no evidence that she had been present. Then came the letter.

The Victorian style peasouper intensified, and I was distracted by the calls of the crows nesting in the nearby tree. What if I never see her again? What if she’d been hurt?

I heard feet approaching on the stone path. Could this be who I’m here to meet?

With my heart in my mouth, I turned to peer into the gloom as a large shape materialised from the mist.

False alarm, it was a bobby on his beat, likely heading back to the station.

Suddenly, I felt someone sit on the other end of the bench.

“Hi! I’m so sorry I’m late, had a last-minute customer” I turned and saw a young woman clasping a small handbag and a medium sized cardboard box.

She reached into the box and removed a small ginger cat. “Cleopatra!” I shouted, “I’ve missed you”.

“I’m Jenny,” said the woman. “It’s a good job you had her chipped before she escaped. I got your address from the national database”.

 

Challenge 6 - Exactly 150 words

I spotted her strolling along the lane that leads to my country estate dragging a bright yellow cuddly lion behind her.

I pulled over and wound down my window. “Hey there, are you lost?” I asked in my most child friendly voice.

“Yes Mister” she sobbed, “my Daddy said to wait here and he’d be back, but I don’t think he is coming”


“Why don’t you jump in the back and I’ll take you back to my house and we can try contacting him”

“Fanks Mister” she said and her eyes lit up with glee.

I’d not driven more than 50 yards when I heard a metallic click and felt something cold and hard pressed into the back of my head and a gravelly voice growled “The game’s up Mister, you’ve abducted your last victim”

I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw the lion clutching a .45 revolver  


Challenge 7 - Exactly 33 words

I’ve been here for days. No amount of layers can drive away the cold in my bones. 

Some idiot dropped two fifty pence pieces into my coffee.

Going undercover is definitely not fun





Challenge 8 - Exactly 150 words

Miles from the nearest road, deep inside the forest, we stumbled on an abandoned sofa.

“The fly-tippers are making an effort round her” chuckled my husband. “Seems like a good spot to stop” he said as he removed our picnic from his rucksack.

I looked for a flat area to lay out the blanket and noticed several piles of small bones, likely from a rat or a squirrel or possibly a fox.

It’d been a long hike and I needed to pee so I headed off into the trees to take care of it.

When I returned I found the picnic all laid out but of my husband there was no sign. I called his name but received no reply.

I waited twenty minutes, but he didn’t return. It was only then that I spotted a new pile of bones in front of the sofa, complete with a human skull


Challenge 9 - Exactly 69 words


 
I suppose it’s fitting that I end my days in a place so devoid of life. The visitors stopped coming following the trial, until then they believed in me.

The jury of twelve decided that I’m guilty but too sick to go to federal prison.

The irony is that my wife would’ve visited, had I not smothered the life from her frail body over a heated game of Scrabble



Challenge 10 - Exactly 100 words


 We’d tracked the creature for miles, back to its lair in the mountains. The labyrinthine tunnels allowed it to pick off my hearty dwarven companions one by one in the dark.  

Now I’m alone. I’ll have just the one opportunity to defeat the beast before it tears my weakened body to shreds

I pulled out the magical scroll from my robe and started to remove the seal. I fumbled the case and it dropped from my fingers and rolled away into the dark

“Darn it” I muttered as the abomination slipped from the shadows and extended its wicked looking claws

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favourite Books of 2023

Wings Unfurled by Rebecca Gomez Farrell

Second To Sin by Murray Bailey