An Archer's Crusade - Griff Hosker


An Archer's Crusade

Lord Edward's Archer Book #3

4 Stars

Pages: 203

Published: 2 Nov 2020

Publisher: Lume Books


Publisher's Blurb

The battle of Evesham is over, and Gerald War Bow is now the owner of a manor. But a leader of archers cannot rest for long.

Lord Edward is on a mission to hunt down the remaining Simon de Montfort supporters and snuff out the last of the rebellions. When the rebel leaders prove harder to eliminate than the rest of the mob, Lord Edward is helped in his quest by Pope Adrian V. In thanks, he agrees to join the Crusades with King Louis IX of France.

The so-called holy war is a complex and punishing pursuit, and Lord Edward needs help in defeating the Mamluks. He calls upon his trusted comrade Gerald to lead a crusade of his own, to enlist the aid of Abaqa Khan, a Mongol leader and much needed ally. With miles of Muslim-controlled land to cross, can Gerald make the journey unscathed, and will his efforts help to turn the war?

Review

Gerald War Bow is an archer, an English archer whose skills are used by Lord Edward in the battle against Simon de Montfort and later in the 9th crusade to the holy land. 

Using a blend of fictitious characters woven into historical fact this book follows the adventures of Gerald in the employ of Lord Edward, future king of England.as he puts down an English Civil War and battles to take back the Holy Land from the Muslim invaders 

The story is full on and fast paced with a roster of characters who are both interesting and likable. I imagine Gerald himself as a gruff Sean Bean always looking out for his men in every situation. 

I found this difficult to put down as the story flowed easily from one encounter to the next and has left me wanting more at the end of the book. 

I would have loved to have seen as a longer novel with more time to develop characters on the fringe of the narrative but it is good as it is. 

All in all this was a cracking read that kept my interest from start to finish.

Buy on Amazon

Author

I was, for over 35 years, an English teacher. After running a successful Educational Consultancy company for four years I decided to return to an early passion, writing. As I love the works of C.S Forester, Simon Scarrow, Ben Kane, Alexander Kent and Bernard Cornwell I began writing my Roman historical fiction novels, the Sword of Cartimandua

In the last 8 years I have written a number of series from my Roman Books, through Saxons, Viking, Norman, Stephen and Matilda, The Crusades, King John and King Richard II. At the moment I am up to Henry Vth and Agincourt. I have also written an American Civil War series as well as the Napoleonic War. Two of my most recent series are set in World War I and World War II. The former is about the RFC and the latter about the Commandos.

Recently I have collaborated with Endeavour Quill on a series about King Edward I. The 1st novel in the series is Lord Edward's Archer.

I write at least 5000 words each day and I love my life as a writer. My readers are a constant source of information and active criticism. I try to respond to every reader.

My books are now owned and published by Sword Books Ltd, 


My website is http://www.griffhosker.com/



_________________________________________________________________________

If you have a book you'd like to be featured on the blog you can submit it by emailing torchwood1968@gmail.com 

or by contacting me on Twitter https://twitter.com/kevin_cannon


_______________________________________________________________________

Comments

  1. Thank you for your kind comments. I agree with you about the length. Some of the characters cry out for a spin off!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wings Unfurled by Rebecca Gomez Farrell

Favourite Books of 2023

Second To Sin by Murray Bailey