Bobby 'Chicken Legs' Muldoon: Life and Love in the Gorbals by Kate Donne


 36054678

Bobby 'Chicken Legs' Muldoon: Life and Love in the Gorbals

by Kate Donne 

4 Stars

Publisher's Blurb

‘Robert James Muldoon. That’s me. Fifteen years auld, four feet three wi bright red hair an legs like a chicken...’

Bobby lives in a Gorbals highrise in Glasgow. 1968 had been a tough year as he struggled with a lack of confidence, his OCD mother, the absence of a job or girlfriend, and a missing grandad. Now, as the bells ring for 1969, he begins the year with optimism. His ‘four bit action plan’ should help him to overcome any obstacles and sort out his problems. All he needs is his witty sense of humour and a huge amount of determination. But will his idea work?


Review
  
The book is written entirely in glaswegian and as a Sassenach I at first found it hard to read fluently as I needed to translate it as I went along BUT, by the end of the first chapter it clicked and the rest of the book flew by as I got wrapped up in the life of Bobby and his family trials and tribulations.

It reminds me of the Adrian Mole diaries which I read years ago and brought back memories of my own teenage years.

All-in-all this was an enjoyable read and I think it is worth Kate Donne writing a full, novel length, story about the characters as once you get the hang of the scots vernacular it is surprisingly fun to read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wings Unfurled by Rebecca Gomez Farrell

Favourite Books of 2023

Second To Sin by Murray Bailey